Or more accurately: things uon and I have been doing in Sydney, over the last few days, viz:
- Saw the NYE fireworks, which were v impressive indeed. To get into the Royal Botanic Gardens we'd have needed to start at about midday; but we were able to get into First Fleet Park (by the harbour) at around 11pm, and had a splendid view of both the bridge and the Opera House.
- Went to a psytrance squat party for the rest of New Year's Eve, which was fun if significantly smaller than I'd been anticipating. (Also there was a long argument going on in the chillout room, which was also the house kitchen, about table football and some hypothetical $1000 bet. It was resolved without anyone hitting anyone else, though, so score.) The music was good, and I haven't been dancing in *months*.
- Spent a fair amount of time sitting in parks.
- I put a deposit on a v nice flat to rent but am not saying any more about this until I actually have the keys in a couple of weeks' time.
- Walked from Potts Point along the bay to the Opera House, and had a drink at the Opera House bar. I had one of those "wow, I am actually in Australia!" moments.
I am now having a mild panic about my current lack of gainful employment, but am taking steps to rectify this; and anyway can't do much until I get back from the planned trip up to Tenterfield, 500km north of here. We picked up the campervan today (from Wicked - it has the X-Men painted on it!) & are off tomorrow morning.
Current conclusion: Sydney v nice. Hurrah.